By Fiona Smith, posted 16th March 2015
PUMPKIN & SPINACH LASAGNE, Serves 6
- 1kg pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, cut into pieces
- 150ml whole milk
- 50g parmesan cheese, grated
- 250g ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 500g spinach, stems removed, leaves chopped
- 500g fresh or instant lasagna sheets
1. Put the pumpkin in a steamer over boiling water and steam for 20 minutes or until tender. Set the pumpkin aside, uncovered, to dry out a little.
2. In a large saucepan, heat the milk until just before boiling point. Using a stick blender or in a food processor, puree the hot milk and pumpkin together then stir in the parmesan, ricotta, eggs and nutmeg. Taste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion with a little salt for 5 minutes until soft. Add the spinach and a splash of water, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and fry until wilted.
4. Grease a baking dish with a little oil. Spread a little of the pumpkin puree over the bottom then top with a sheet of pasta. Top with quarter of the remaining pumpkin and a third of the spinach. Repeat twice more then finish with a final layer of pasta and pumpkin puree. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
This article first featured in Issue 165 of Cuisine Magazine. For more like this, visit cuisine.co.nz or subscribe at mags4gifts.co.nz/cuisine